The potato can be grown almost on any type of soil, except saline and alkaline soils.
· Loose soils are preferred
· Loamy and sandy loam soils are the most suitable
· Soil with a pH range of 5.2-6.4 is considered ideal
Growing potatoes involves extensive ground preparation. To make a suitable soil condition (soft, well-drained, and well-aerated), you need to:
· Harrow the soil until completely free of weed roots
· Three ploughings, along with frequent harrowing and rolling, in most cases
(Source: International Year of the Potato 2008)